14 April, 2011

[Korean Movie] Ajussi (The man from nowhere)


I just saw the most thrilling movie, that caught me of guard. I didn't think much about it at first, but I actually ended up sitting all tense, with my fingers in my mouth - probably looking like an idiot. Luckily enough I´m all alone. So I can look like a crazy person and cry all I want.


Ajusshi (The man from nowhere) (2010 Korean movie)
Won Bin play the part as Cha Tae-sik, who is a very quiet and mysterious guy from the very beginning. He owns a Pawn shop and seems to be at his limit, looking very worn and empty - but yet very good looking somehow. (I had to point that out). 



The only "friendship" he have is a very shallow one, with a ten year old girl who lives in the same building. He keeps it shallow, most likely because he don't want anyone close to him.
The ten year old girl, So-mi (Kim Sae Ron), have a mother who gets involved in stealing drugs. Eventually she gets her daughter involved too, dragging her into it, which end up with So-mi being kidnapped.




Tae-sik seems to ignore it at first, but gets involved in it either he wants it or not. But to kidnap So-mi, is a step to far for Tae-sik.
Suddenly you only get to behold the outcome from the events of happening, between Tae-sik and the "bad guys". It shows how this "Ajusshi" wasn't as harmless as he wished to look. And after that you get to see Tae-sik's background story unfold, throughout the movie. Which also lead to the unfoldment of the obscure business the drug dealers have, beneath the surface.

The movie is violent, so it´s not for the lighthearted. But who is lighthearted, with all the movies there is nowadays? Okay, maybe a few... so I warned you. It looks very real.


It is not really original, since there is story's like it. And I have seen many other movies with the same concept before. But somehow it stood out to me anyway.
There were intense scenes that were magnificent made and it moved unexpectedly.
There were also a very thrilling knife fight - when I couldn't move out of fascination and suspense, with my fingers across my mouth, actually gasping. Okay, I get really into movies at time - don't blame me! But this movie is really worth the while. 



Won Bin did a great job, executing it. He really showed a empty shell of himself, and made a good character development through the movie. You could really feel how he started to care again. Kim Sae Ron also did a great job with her part. Very sincere indeed, trying to be happy with the circumstances she have. 
Watch it, if you can. 

Ajusshi (The man from Nowhere) Trailer ~ 




No comments:

Post a Comment